Monday, April 23, 2007

New Week, new project


This is my mascot. I call him "Big Toe" He lives on my veranda.


This morning I did something I have not done since public school, and that is about 45 years ago, maybe more. I went to the senior's center and I played ping pong. An elderly gentleman from my church that has Parkinson's goes 3X a week and plays with whom ever shows up to play. I did not realize that it would actually give me a good work out. A friend and former neighbor had come to visit just as I was leaving so she came along and also played for awhile.


I have always said that when I retired I would do something to help the seniors in the community and I think that by taking part in some of the activites at The Good Neighbor Club as well as visiting former neighbor's that are at Chez Nous nursing home and taking them on outings or shopping I will be doing my bit.


Church yesterday was good. Our new minister is a good speaker. Other members of the congregation call him the "Hippie" minister. He is about 60 and has long grey hair. I don't mind long hair and grey goes along with being 60 I guess, for some people anyway, as long as it's clean it's ok.
Several people brought goodies for "afters" and we had a selection of strawberry/pineapple angle food cake, pound cake with candied fruit, butter tart squares as well as the regular cookies. Coffee tastes so good with a sweet, don't you think? I am thinking it must be about my turn to cough up a tray of goodies.


Yesterday afternoon we attended an afternoon dance and then a dinner. Excellent Roast Beef. We had worked up an appitite by dancing several times. We are definitly out of practice.


It was a good week-end, and I'm sure this next week will be equally as good. Tomorrow is my exercise class, Wed. I have a doctor's appt. in the city and then off to a Red Hat Luncheon at a new cafe in Essex (The Daily Grind). I might even get a picture or two taken. I should have time on Wed. night or Thursday to post again.

No comments: